Well, as it is Mothers’ Day today, here is a section from one of my favourite Bible passages about the role and value of women, Proverbs 31.
It is quite a long passage, so I will quote here just from the beginning. I love this passage as it sets a glowing and excellent and beautiful standard for women to emulate, and I think the basic virtues here would be recognised and valued all over the world.
Happy Mothers’ Day to all the Mums (and Moms and Grandmas and sisters and friends and cousins and aunties) out there!
Proverbs 31 v 10
Who can find a virtous wife?
For her worth is far above rubies.
11. The heart of her husband safely trusts her;
So he will have no lack of gain.
12. She does him good and not evil
All the days of her life.
13. She seeks wool and flax,
And willingly works with her hands.
14. She is like the merchant ships,
She brings her food from afar.
15. She also rises while it is yet night,
And provides food for her household,
And a portion for her maidservants.
16. She considers a field and buys it;
From her profits she plants a vineyand.
17. She firds herself with strength,
And strengthens her arms.
18. She perceives that her merchandise ,
And her lamp does not go out by night.
19. She stretches out her hands to the distaff,
And her hand holds the spindle.
20. She extends her hand to the poor,
Yes she reaches out her hands to the needy.